Wednesday, October 24, 2012


LIZARADS, FROGS, AND POLLIWOGS


Lizards, Frogs, and Polliwogs
Written and illustrated by: Douglas Florian
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2001
42 pages
Poetry Book

            I choose to read this book of poems because I had enjoyed reading another book of poems from Douglas Florian called Dinothesaurus. Like Dinothesaurus, this book also contains characteristics and facts about its poems’ topics as well. However, in the case of Lizards, Frogs, and Polliwogs, the poems are all about reptiles and amphibians such as geckos, alligators, wood frogs, and bullfrogs. The poem styles range from rhyme to concrete. Some of the poems are even tongue twisters, but all are fun and informational. My personal favorite poem from the collection is The Tortoise. The Tortoise is a short poem that rhymes while talking about turtles and their shells. From the story the reader is able to learn the purpose of a turtles shell and how a turtle gets its shell.

            The illustrations in this poetry book were done in watercolors on primed brown paper bags with collage. I feel that Florian’s for of illustrating is unique and adds character to his books. The text in the story are done in the most formal form, where the text is opposite of the illustrations.

            Lizards, Frogs, and Polliwogs has not won any awards, but it has received raving reviews from magazines and teachers. I myself would personally include this book in my classroom’s library. I feel that poetry books are not included enough in classrooms and this would make an excellent source of poetry to catch students’ interests. Since the story is simple I would suggest this book for children kindergarten and up. When introducing this book to the class I would create integrated lessons to go along with the poems within it. For science, I would use the poems to discuss reptile and amphibian characteristics. I would also, use this book to introduce poetry and rhyme to younger children. Lastly, I would pull poems from this book to do phonic words by breaking the poems apart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment